If you use social media too much, you have probably heard about Prime Drink. It was launched in 2022 by two social media influencers, Olajide William Olatunji (KSI) and Logan Paul. This energy drink brand became hugely popular, especially among kids and teenagers. According to the company, this drink is a healthier alternative to other energy and sports drinks.
Prime is also the official sports drink of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). This sports drink has also provoked the interest of Senator Charles Schumer. In July 2023, he called on the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) to investigate the brand for its elevated caffeine content and marketing tactics.
Here, we will uncover the controversy surrounding the most famous energy drink “Prime.” We will also tell you about the two types of Prime Drink, their ingredients, whether is it really safe, and much more.
What Are Prime Drinks?
Founded in 2022 by a social media influencer, an American professional writer, Logan Paul, and a YouTube star and a British Boxer, KSI. Prime Drink Owner, Logan Paul and KSI initially were boxing rivals but later became business partners. They collaborated and developed Prime.
Prime Hydration, their initial beverage, launched in 2022, followed shortly thereafter by Prime Energy. Logan Paul and KSI have significant social media followers. According to the company website, Prime drinks are described as “bold, thirst-quenching flavors to help you refuel, refresh, and replenish.”
They have two types of drinks, including Prime Energy and Prime Hydration. Prime Energy comes in 12-ounce servings and is packed in cans. On the other hand, Prime Hydration is a caffeine-free beverage. This is available in 16-fluid-ounce bottles. Also, it has hydration packers available, which can be mixed with water. It comes in 10 different flavors, ranging from Ice Pop to Glowberry.
The central point of difference lies in Prime Energy’s caffeine content. It contains 200 milligrams of caffeine in every serving. They come in seven different flavors, including Blue Raspberry and Tropical Punch.
Prime Energy Vs. Prime Hydration
Prime Energy is like an energy drink because of its substantial caffeine content. They are recognized as a stimulant, says Avery Zenker, a Canadian-based registered dietitian at EverFlex Fitness (a personal training program). She added that Prime Hydration is more like a sports drink because it contains vitamins and electrolytes.
Prime Energy beverages include a label showing that they are not recommended for anyone under 18 years of age. Also, these are not for those women who are nursing or pregnant and those with caffeine sensitivity. This approach aligns with the ABA (American Beverage Association) guidelines for caffeinated products.
Prime Drink Hydration Ingredients:
- Coconut water
- Branched-chain amino acids
- Electrolytes (potassium, sodium, and magnesium)
- Sea salt (in the hydration drinks packets)
- Antioxidants Vitamin E and A
- Natural Flavors
- B Vitamins
- Ester gum and gum arabic as stabilizers
- Artificial sweeteners (acesulfame potassium and sucralose)
Prime Drink Energy Ingredients:
- Coconut water from the concentrate
- Carbonated filtered water
- Electrolytes (potassium, sodium, and magnesium)
- Vitamins (vitamin B12, vitamin B6)
- Artificial sweeteners (sucralose)
- Natural Flavors
- Amino acids (taurine and L-theanine)
- Preservatives (sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate)
- Inositol (a sugar alcohol)
How Prime Drink Became Popular?
Famous YouTubers KSI and Logan Paul released their drinks brand in January 2022. One year on, Logan Paul said that the Prime drink had generated $250 million in worldwide retail sales, also, with $45 million of that in January 2023 alone.
So, how did Prime Drink become popular? Certainly, it can be explained in part by the popularity of its founders. Two of the most popular YouTube personalities worldwide. KSI and Paul have over 39 million subscribers on their YouTube channels.
Their savvy use of YouTube’s algorithmic networks, in which the recommendation algorithm links videos with similar content together, has also been a key.
Which Prime Drink Is The Best?
Diving into the extensive world of hydration, the choices can sometimes be mind-boggling. With numerous flavors and brands varying for our attention, it becomes difficult to choose and find the ones that not only quench our thirst but also impress our taste buds. Prime Energy and Prime Hydration stand out among the contenders. We will tell you about the best Prime beverage. Keep on reading to know which prime drink is the best:
Best Prime Energy Drink Flavors:
- Blue Raspberry: A tangy and refreshing blend of strawberries and blueberries. The bright blue color will surely catch your attention, and the fruity taste will quench your thirst.
- Lemon Lime: This is the classic flavor with a combination of citrusy taste that is both refreshing and zesty. If you like the subtle taste, chances are this can be your favorite because of its light taste. It has a subtle kick of energy without overpowering your taste buds.
- Orange Mango: A fruity and tropical blend of mangoes and oranges. This prime drink has a tangy and sweet taste, making you feel like you are on a sunny beach, quenching your thirst.
- Strawberry Watermelon: A sweet and pulpy blend of two summer fruits. A light and refreshing taste is perfect for those who want a fruity flavor with a subtle taste.
- Tropical Punch: The tropical punch is an exotic and fruity blend of oranges, pineapples, and other tropical fruits. Its flavorful and bold taste will transport you to a lush rainforest.
Best Prime Hydration Drink Flavors:
- Blue Raspberry: This has a fruity and sweet flavor with a bright blue color. Perfect for those who want to have a flavorful and fun unique drink.
- Lemon Lime: This flavor is a classic one that is refreshing to drink. This prime drink has a hint of sweetness with a citrusy flavor for those who want to have a subtle drink.
- Strawberry Watermelon: Strawberry Watermelon has an amazing blend of two popular fruits. It has a subtle sweet flavor with a hint of citrusy taste.
- Ice Pop: This flavor tastes like a classic frozen bomb pop. if you want to revisit your childhood memories, this is a great choice for a refreshing and sweet taste.
- Orange: The Orange flavor is another classic sweet and tangy option. Perfect for those who love fruit-flavored beverages.
- Meta Moon: This is a candy-flavored Prime Drink. It has a blend of tangy and sweet flavors, which will surely excite your taste buds.
- Grape: The Grape flavor is a classic sweet with a hint of tartness drink. Perfect choice for those who want to have a grape-flavoured drink.
- Tropical Punch: This refreshing and fruity option combines several tropical fruits. It has a citrusy and sweet taste, making it perfect for those who want to experience a taste of tropical fruits.
How Much Caffeine Is In Prime Energy Drink?
Prime Energy has a total of 200 milligrams of caffeine in a 12-ounce can. This sums up about six times more caffeine in a comparable can of Coca-Cola. It also has inositol, glucuronolactone, taurine, and l-theanine, ingredients found in other energy drinks. Their Hydration drink doesn’t have caffeine in it.
The prime drink cans state that the drink is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women or children under 18 years. However, Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer says this warning is not enough. He says that parents can mix up caffeinated and non-caffeinated beverages. According to a spokesperson, the two drinks of this company “are vastly different.”
Further, the spokesperson said, “contains an equal amount of caffeine to other top-selling energy drinks, all falling within the legal limitation of the countries it’s sold in.” he added, “It is an energy drink and is not made for anyone under the age of 18.”
A spokesperson of Prime said that the company’s top priority is the safety of the consumer. Further, they said they welcome discussions with the FDA suggestions regarding changes to the industry “in order to protect consumers.”
Additionally, Canadian health authorities have raised their voice that cans sold there may exceed regulations on caffeine limits. The Canadian Beverage Association president told CBC that consumer safety should be the “Top Priority.”
Is Prime Energy Drink Safe?
Despite Prime Energy Drink’s label warning, in July 2023, Schumer asserted a minimal noticeable distinction in the online marketing between the two prime drinks. He further called on the FDA to research the Prime.
Sen. Schumer wrote in his letter, “The brand, which comes in ‘energy’ and ‘hydration’ forms, is all over available and was launched as a social media, influencer-type product that has the undivided engagement of children under the age of eighteen.”
He further added, “These same children are also the target market for Prime. Many physicians are deeply concerned for Prime, and I write to urge your agency to investigate Prime for its claims, marketing, and caffeine content.”
A central concern with Prime Energy is its content of caffeine, which is especially important for parents to consider, says Lindsay Malone. She is a private practice registered dietitian and Case Western Reserve University instructor. She further states that Prime “heavily markets toward young people who may not realize there’s a difference between Prime Energy and Prime Hydration.”
According to Harvard Health, the marketing of energy drinks typically utilizes strategies aimed at teenagers. Energy or sports drinks are the second-most heavily consumed dietary supplement among young adults and teenagers.
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that kids under 12 years not consume any caffeine. They also recommend that children of 12 to 18 years not exceed 100 milligrams of caffeine every day.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention emphasizes the probable negative effects of energy drinks. They impact the heart, anxiety, and insomnia. Heart complications can include heart failure and irregular heartbeat, while anxiety can include feeling nervous.
Prime Drink can be safe for some adults. Zenker says that taking two servings may take you over the FDA’s recommended everyday safe limit of 400 milligrams of caffeine.
What Is The Price And Where To Buy Prime Drink?
The prime drink became really famous among young adults shortly after its launch. The two famous YouTubers, KSI and Logan Paul launched this drink and gained huge popularity. Keep reading to know the price and where you can buy this drink.
- Prime Energy Drink: On their official website, prime energy drinks are sold in packs of 12 for $29.99.
- Prime Hydration Drink: Just like Prime Energy, they’re also sold on the official Prime website in packs of 12 for $29.99.
Launched in 2022 by two famous social media influencers, Logan Paul and KSI, Prime Drink became extensively popular, especially among young adults. The company has two types, including Hydration and Prime Energy. Additionally, the brand has suggested that Prime Energy is not for pregnant or nursing women or those with caffeine sensitivity.
Read More: McDonald’s Cosmic Edition Restaurant!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- Is Prime OK for kids to drink?
The Prime Energy drink is unhealthy for kids because it contains a lot of caffeine.
- Is Prime drink actually healthy?
Prime Drink contains artificial sweeteners, which has surely many negative health impacts. It is recommended not to consume this drink frequently.
- What’s so special about Prime drink?
According to their official website, Prime drink contains zero added sugar, has around 20 calories per bottle, and is caffeine-free.
- Why is Prime Drink so expensive?
Prime Drink gained much popularity after its release, demand has exceeded the supply rate, resulting in high prices.