The 66th Annual Grammy Awards 2024, held on February 4, 2024, was an exciting event that took place in Los Angeles on Sunday. Grammy Awards 2024 was dominated by women with notable victories of Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Billie Eilish, SZA, Lainey Wilson, and many more.
The Grammy Awards is a prestigious award presented in the United States every year in order to recognize outstanding achievements in the music industry. There are two main Grammy Awards ceremonies; one is offered by the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences to honor the music released in the United States and the other one is the Latin Grammy Awards that is presented by the Latin Recording Academy to honor Latin music globally.
The award recognizes excellence in various aspects of music creation, including performance, songwriting, producing, engineering, and more, and is awarded in various genres, from pop and rock to classical and jazz. Established in 1958, it was originally called the Gramophone Awards and the first award was presented in 1959.
For the fourth consecutive year, Trevor Noah, the comedian and television personality hosted the Grammys 2024. Moreover, SZA, Eilish, Dua Lipa, Olivia Rodrigo, and even Joni Mitchell and Tracy Chapman graced the stage with their outstanding performance.
1. Victoria Monét, a singer, won three Grammy Awards 2024, including best new artist.
2. Boygenius, a popular indie-rock group, won three Grammy Awards 2024. Phoebe Bridgers from the group won a fourth award for collaborating with SZA.
3. Joni Mitchell, an 80-year-old singer, performed at the Grammys for the first time after recovering from a health issue. She sang her 1968 song “Both Sides Now” with support from Brandi Carlile.
4. Tracy Chapman made a rare appearance, performing her 1988 hit “Fast Car” in a duet with Luke Combs.
5. Taylor Swift won Album of the Year for Midnights and announced a new album, “The Tortured Poets Department,” at Grammy Awards 2024, releasing on April 19. She made history by becoming the first person to four times in this category.
6. Celine Dion, despite health challenges, made a rare appearance to announce the album of the year.
7. Billy Joel performed his new song and classic hit. U2 performed from their residency in Las Vegas.
8. The “in memoriam” segment honored Tony Bennett, Sinéad O’Connor, and Tina Turner.
9. Political content was limited, but there were mentions of global events. Jay-Z called out the Grammys for not recognizing Beyoncé enough.
10. Killer Mike, a rapper and activist, won three awards but was later escorted out by police. He faced a misdemeanor charge.
11. The Grammy Awards 2024 introduced a new category, “best African music performance,” won by South African singer Tyla for the song “Water.”
12. Indian musicians Shankar Mahadevan and Zakir Hussain’s fusion band Shakti won the Global Music Album award for “This Moment” at the 66th Grammys.
|Album of the year
|Record of the year
|Best new artist
|Song of the Year
|What Was I Made For? from Barbie
|Best pop vocal album
|Best R&B song
|Best country album
|Bell Bottom Country
|Best música urbana album
|Mañana Será Bonito
|Best pop solo performance
|Best progressive R&B album
|Best R&B performance
|Best folk album
|Joni Mitchell at Newport (Live)
|Producer of the year, non-classical
|Songwriter of the Year, non-classical
|Best pop duo/group performance
|SZA featuring Phoebe Bridgers
|Ghost in the Machine
|Best dance/electronic recording
|Skrillex, Fred again.. and Flowdan
|Best pop dance recording
|Best dance/electronic music album
|Actual Life 3
|Best traditional R&B performance
|J Morton featuring Susan Carol
|Best R&B album
|Best rap performance
|Killer Mike featuring André 3000 Future and Eryn Allen Kane
|Scientists & Engineers
|Best melodic rap performance
|Lil Durk featuring J Cole
|All My Life
|Best rap album
|Best country solo performance
|Best country song
|Best song written for visual media
|What Was I Made For? from Barbie the Album, Billie Eilish and Finneas
|Best comedy album
|What’s in a Name?
|Best global music album
|Best African music performance
|Best musical theater album
|Some Like It Hot
|Best alternative music album
|Best alternative music performance
|This Is Why
|Best rock album
|This Is Why
|Best rock song
|Not Strong Enough
|Best metal performance
|Best rock performance
|Not Strong Enough
|Best country duo/group performance
|Zach Bryan featuring Kacey Musgraves
|I Remember Everything
The 66th Grammy Awards were a night brimming with unforgettable moments! Queen of pop, Taylor Swift surprised her fans with the announcement of her next album. The night celebrated musical legends- Tracy Chapman received a standing ovation after her performance, reminding everyone of her timeless artistry.
History was made when the iconic Joni Mitchell graced the Grammy stage for the first time, delivering a spellbinding performance. Stevie Wonder brought tears to many eyes with his moving tribute to the late Tony Bennett, showcasing the deep bonds within the music community.
And who could forget the raw emotion of Miley Cyrus’ victory shout after winning her first Grammy? Her genuine excitement resonated with viewers everywhere, proving that even the biggest stars never lose the thrill of recognition. It was a night of surprises, legacy, and heartfelt moments, making the 2024 Grammys a truly unforgettable ceremony.
You Can also Read: Filmfare Awards 2024 Complete Winner’s List