Mexican Food is one of the most extensive cuisines. Across the world, people love eating Mexican dishes to satisfy their cravings and taste buds. Traditional Mexican cooking is a comprehensive culture that includes ingredients from cultural farming, ritual practices, age-old skills, culinary techniques and ancestral customs.
The Secret Behind the Flavour of Mexican Food
The dishes we enjoy today are delivered to us with a collection of different practices and skills that deliver the taste of authentic Mexican flavours. The basis of Mexican dishes usually contain corn, beans, chili, and peppers as their main ingredients. The culinary practices of Mexican cuisine hold remarkable historical value and undeniable fame.
It is one of the few cuisines that people all around the world enjoy and eat despite cultural or heritage differences. The best part of Mexican food is the unique cooking style that extends beyond Europe. Not to mention the famous “Taco Tuesday” has set foot in the United States because of its authentic taste and blissful flavours.
Top Mexican Food Recipes
Mexican food is packed with intense flavours, species, aromas, and taste. Due to the use of chillies, most of the dishes are spicy and have a crisp flavour. Typical ingredients such as corn, beans, a variety of red tomatoes, sweet potato, avocado, cocoa and pumpkin are used for preparing most of the Mexican Food items that we eat today. Along with these, the cuisine of Mexico is influenced by Spanish culture. Various spices such as achiote, coriander, cinnamon and mint are extensively used for making most of these recipes.
1. Grilled Onion Skirt Steak Tacos
- 2 beef skirt of 1 pound each
- 1 bottle of beer
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 spring onions
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Corn tortillas
- minced fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- To cook this amazing recipe, take a pound of beef with a meat mallet to tenderise.
- In a bowl, pour beer and mix the lemon juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil until all blended well. Now add beef to the same bowl and mix well to coat the meat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the spring or green onions from the bottoms and leave the head intact. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Now drain the beef and discard the remnants. Sprinkle with the leftover 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. On an oiled grill rack, cook the steaks and onions, covered over medium flame.
- Cook until the steaks are tender and the onions are crisp. Grill for 2-4 minutes on each side to ensure the steaks are cooked from each side.
- Now for the serving, cut the steaks into thin slices and serve with tortillas, onions, cilantro and lime wedges.
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice (long-grain)
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick around 3 inches long
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- Ground cinnamon
- Lime slices
- To make tasty and tempting horchata, Place the rice grains in a blender and blend for 2-3 minutes until very fine.
- Transfer the blended rice grains to a bowl and add almonds, cinnamon stick, lime zest and hot water. Let it stand for 8 hours at room temperature. Make sure to cover it and keep it away from sunlight.
- Now throw away the cinnamon sticks and transfer the rice mixture to a blender. Cover and blend for 3-4 minutes and add sugar gradually.
- Place a strainer over the glass and pour the blended rice mixture over the strainer.
- Add cold water from above, drop some ice and sprinkle with cinnamon and lime juice.
3. Tortilla Chips
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 10 corn tortillas
- Canola or corn oil
- For making homemade tortilla chips, mix salt and chipotle powder in a large bowl. Cut each tortilla into 4 wedges to give it the shape of chips. After this, in an electric skillet, heat oil
- Fry the tortilla, some at a time for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the fried chips to a large bowl and sprinkle some salt and cheese powder if desired.
- Gently toss the chips to coat evenly.
4. Green Tomato Salsa
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 serrano pepper
- 5 medium green tomatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons agave
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 medium size avocado
- Tortilla Chips
- To cook tasty Green Tomato Salsa, Preheat the broiler.
- Then place the green peppers and serrano peppers on the baking sheet and boil for 8-10 minutes.
- With tongs, rotate peppers until all sides are cooked well and crisped. Immediately place them in a bowl and let them stand for 20 minutes, covered.
- With tongs place green tomatoes in a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. After removing them, peel and finely chop tomatoes and transfer to a large bowl.
- Remove the skin and seeds from the cooked peppers and chop them until fine and smashed.
- Add in onion and minced garlic for taste
- Now add all the remaining ingredients i.e. salt, pepper, avocado, agave, lime juice, and cloves. Blend until smooth and add to tomato mixture.
- Serve with tortilla chips
Mexican Food recipes are popular worldwide for their taste and authentic flavours. The dishes can be cooked easily and require minimal effort. In this blog post, we have discussed some best Mexican culinary dishes that can satisfy your cravings and hunger.