Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently visited the Lakshadweep and proposed to turn the breathtaking landscape into a tourism and adventure hub. This suggestion sparked a rekindled curiosity among the Indians about the Union Territory. So, if you are also planning to visit this place, it’s important to know the travel guidelines related to this place.
After three ministers made derogatory remarks against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, it has been making headlines since then.
Among India’s one of eight Union Territories, Lakshadweep became a part of India in 1956. It has 36 islands, 12 atolls, and three reefs in total. Only ten are inhabited out of 36 islands. The most famous islands among them are Bangaram Island, Thinnakara Island, Minicoy Island, Kalpeni Islands, and Kadmat Islands. This travel spot is perfect to tour by locals.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi shared some of his images of walking along a beach and scuba-diving in Lakshadweep. The social media war began after his post on this Union territory.
No references or mention to Maldives or any other popular island nation among the tourists were made in the post. However, the beautiful scenery still offended the Maldivian government officials and politicians, which started a war with the Indian social media users.
One observable reason can also be that Maldivian politicians saw the posts as an ultimatum to its own tourism, to which Indian tourists are great contributors. Narendra Modi’s post received some racist, derogatory, and offensive comments from some Maldivian social media users.
Among the hateful comments shared on social media was one by Mariyam Shiuna, Maldives Deputy Minister Of Youth Empowerment, Information, and Arts. She wrote, “What a clown. The puppet of Israel, Mr. Narendra diver with a life jacket. #VisitMaldives #SunnySideOfLife”. She has also compared India to cow dung; however, she has now deleted the post from social media.
Malsha Shareef, Shiuna’s fellow deputy minister, also posted the same derogatory comments against the tourist campaign for India.
Travel Guidelines- How To Reach Lakshadweep?
The first thing that pops up in the minds of first-time visitors is how to get there. There are two travel modes- ships or flights.
- The primary getaway is Kochi. Air India conducts flights six days a week and also from Kochi to Agatti Island Airport.
- The airstrip is only available on Agatti Island. The flight from Kochi to Agatti only takes 1 hour 30 minutes.
- On MakeMyTrip, the fare from Cochin (Kochi) to Lakshadweep is around Rs 5500.
- Also, there are Helicopter services available from Agatti to Kavaratti during the season of monsoon as per the availability of helicopters.
Travel Guidelines- How to Reach Lakshadweep by Ship
If you want to travel to this beautiful place, there are 7 ships available to Lakshadweep from Kochi: MV Arabian Sea, MV Kavaratti, MV Amindivi, MV Minicoy, MV Lagoon, MV Corals, and Lakshadweep Sea.
Depending on the island chosen for the trip, the passage from ships takes about 14 to 18 hours. Various classes are available for lodging inside the ships. There are pushback/Bunk Classes with A/C seating, A/C First Class with two berth cabins, and A/C Second Class with four berth cabins.
Also, there will be a doctor available on call on board. Lakshadweep packages to travel from Kochi may vary depending on your berth, from Rs 2200 to Rs 7000.
Rules For Traveling To Lakshadweep
According to it’s official website, the Amindivi, Laccadive, and Minicoy Islands (Restriction on Residence and Entry) Rules, 1967 govern entry into this union territory.
Travel Guidelines and Entry Permit For Lakshadweep
There are some specific travel requirements to visit there, which include:
- Entry Permit (EP): All tourists worldwide, including Indian nationals, must obtain an EP (Entry Permit). It can be obtained by applying through travel agent officials or the Tourism Department. Also, Indian tourists have to present a PCC (Police clearance certificate) issued by the Commissioner of Police from their home district.
- Restricted Area Permit (RAP): Specific islands within the Union Territory are categorized as restricted areas due to their sensitive strategic and ecological significance. Tourists planning to visit these areas must obtain a RAP (Restricted Area Permit) with the Entry Permit (EP). It can be applied through selected authorities. Also, certain permissions and travel guidelines must be followed while visiting these restricted areas.
- Special Permit: In some circumstances, special rules for traveling and permits can be needed for activities such as research, filming, or some other specialized purposes. Tourists seeking such special permits should contact the authorities in advance.
How To Apply For The Permit?
The travel guidelines for Lakshadweep require a specific permit, and there are two ways to apply for the permit, that are:
- Offline: From the Administration website, you have to download the application form. You can also get it from the District Collector’s office in Kavaratti. You must fill out the form, attach your documents, and submit them to the collector’s office.
- Online: This is the fastest and easiest option. You only have to open the ePermit portal and create an account. Fill out the form, select your travel dates and island, and upload the required documents. Pay the required fees and your permit will be emailed to you fifteen days before your journey.
Some Other Travel Guidelines For Lakshadweep
Some specific things come under the travel guidelines. One of them is the documents for the travel requirements to Lakshadweep. Let’s see what are the documents are needed:
- A copy of your valid ID proof (Voter ID, Adhaar Card, etc.)
- A clear passport-size photo
- Confirmation of hotel booking (if staying in a resort)
- Travel proof (boat reservation or flight tickets)
India’s Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi’s visit to Lakshadweep and the following criticism from some important Maldivian politicians have sparked a wave. Travel booking sites are experiencing a considerable increase in searches. Thus, it is very important to keep the travel guidelines in mind if you are going to visit here.
Also Check Out: Top 10 Healthy Food Recipes For Vegetarians
- What are the requirements for entry to Lakshadweep?
There are several travel guidelines and requirements for Lakshadweep. Indian tourists have to present a PCC (Police clearance certificate) issued by the Commissioner of Police from their home district.
- How can you travel to Lakshadweep island?
You can travel to this Island by ship or flight. If you are traveling by flight, the primary getaway is Kochi, and on the other hand, there are seven ships from Lakshadweep to Kochi if you plan to go by sea.
- Is a passport required for Lakshadweep to Kerala?
A passport is surely necessary to visit Lakshadweep. It is a union territory of India and thus restricted access for the non-residents.
- Is PCC required for Lakshadweep?
Foreign Nationals permitted by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, can also visit these islands for official purposes. Hence, a PCC has to be presented, which is issued by the Commissioner of Police.